Friday, October 20, 2006

David Helwig responds

Response to an email I sent him to an address on the Porcupine's Quill website. Couldn't find the book online by cover description, so I emailed to ask what the white hardcover book with the binoculars on it was that I saw at the Borden Friendship Club. Posted with permission.

To: lauriefuhr@yahoo.ca
Subject: Unread books
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 22:35:46 -0300

Hi Laurie,

The book is called Catchpenny Poems. I think that physically it's one of the most beautiful Oberon ever published. The poems in it won the CBC poetry award for 1983, and the book was published in that year.

I have only two copies, and one of them is the one my parents had, which I reclaimed after they died. Still like the poems.

Sure I'd love to read in Calgary sometime. I don't think I've ever read in Alberta, though I remember being in Calgary publicizing a novel and finding the city was empty after seven o'clock. Somebody told me they'd just used it for the set of a Superman movie. That was maybe not quite before you were born, but a while back.

Odd to think of those books sitting there in the cold waiting for someone to discover them. But they sure aren't going to let some uppity chick run away with them.


Cheers,


David


From: jgdh@pei.sympatico.ca
To: "Laurie Fuhr"
Subject: Re: Unred boks
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 16:07:36 -0300

Laurie,

Answers to questions:

Sure, post the letter if you want. Not much to it.

In the Eighties I was published for a while by Viking Penguin. They are a big outfit that can afford to send writers for long distances to do publicity--which was what I was doing in Calgary when I went for a walk down dark and entirely empty streets between skyscrapers. Then I saw a weird light approaching--an empty streetcar. Passed by and vanished into the movies.

New stuff? I have a novel called Saltsea supposed to be out soon from Biblioasis and next fall PQ is doing a novella called Smuggling Donkeys.

I have lots of unpublished poems, but they might be a bit old-fashioned for your magazine.

You didn't ask, but you can find my website at davidhelwig.com.


Stay uppity and ornery.

Cheers,

David

No comments: